Job DescriptionFullStack React Senior EngineerYou lead the way. We've got your back.
At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we're supporting our customers financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what's possible - and we're proud to back each other every step of the way.
When you join #TeamAmex, you become part of a diverse community over 60,000 colleagues, all with a common goal to deliver an exceptional customer experience every day. Join #TeamAmex and let's lead the way together.
Enterprise Platforms are engines of growth for the company providing capabilities that power almost all key customer facing experiences to our Credit Card, Loan and Banking customers. One of key objectives Enterprise Platforms is driving at is develop a best-in-class Product Catalogue that would enable American Express to launch new customer facing products and experiences with unparalleled flexibility and spectacularly improved speed to market globally across all countries American Express operates in.
Our mission is to accelerate the pace of financial innovation and build new financial products for American Express at unprecedented speed by streamlining the process of launching and iterating on financial products.
As an Engineer, you will be responsible for building compelling user interface as well as backend APIs for integrating with dozens of internal systems. These interfaces power user journey that create new customer experiences and resolve pricing and build/run marketing offers! You will achieve this using the latest and greatest open-source technologies and frameworks that facilitate developer productivity without compromising on quality at high-level scale.
You'll apply your depth of knowledge and expertise to all aspects of the software development lifecycle, as well as partner continuously with your stakeholders daily to stay focused on common goals. We adopt a culture of experimentation and constantly strive for improvement and learning and welcome varied perspectives especially people who are not afraid to challenge assumptions! Our engineers are encouraged to involve themselves in the full product lifecycle and share their opinions about the direction of our products. Are you passionate about solving business problems through innovation and sound engineering practices Here is what you can expect to do in this role:
- Function as senior member of an Agile scrum team helping drive consistent development practices (tools, testing, common components, and documentation).
- Spend 50% of time writing code and testing, and remainder of time developing teams and partners through ongoing product/platform release sprints
- Analyze/refine business features and user stories with Product Owner to support design and build activities.
- Develop new user-facing features using React.js and translate designs and wireframes into high quality code
- Take the API first approach to all development and build those APIs for zero touch consumption
- Build reusable cross platform components, front-end libraries and back end API's
- Develop deep understanding of tie-ins with other business processes and provider/consumer systems while network with engineering teams to find opportunities to learn
- Take ownership and responsibility for the quality of the code from development to production
- Perform peer code reviews, making deliberate short and long-term design decisions and keeping constant focus on clearing technical debt items in the backlog
- Lead and mentor a team of junior and senior engineers through ongoing sprints
- Research and apply leading UI and API technologies and libraries that enable agile product development.
- Implement the best-in-class software practices that produce maintainable code, including usability patterns, code style conformity, integration, unit testing, and code review.
- Works closely with product owners on blueprints and quarterly planning of feature sets
- Connect with partners on the solution and the implementation aspects at the technical and/or functional level appropriate for the situation
- Seek continuous improvement in ways or working and delivery of quality software by participating in and acting on sprint and product increment level retrospectives
- Influence team members with innovator mentality and proven risk taking
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Computer Science Engineering, or related field.
- 6+ years of software development experience (Java preferred)
- 3+ years of development experience with front-end technologies and frameworks
- Recent experience in developing front-end applications using React and Redux.
- Passion for learning new technologies, industry trends and deep technical curiosity
- Proven experience in Agile development, application design, software development, and testing
- Collaborative work attitude to flourish with peer support and taking pride in products and capabilities delivered as a team
- Ability to act as a change agent in constantly evolving business requirements and platform roadmap
- Experience working on RESTful API design and implementation
- Ability to balance priorities and break down sophisticated problems to manageable chunks that can be delivered incrementally
- Must be willing and able to express new insights, concerns and opinions directly to wider team including tech and business partners in team meetings in person or video/tele conferencing.
- Strong experience with at least one NoSQL databases (Couchbase is preferable)
- Experience with using design language systems or similar
- Experience with both Responsive and Adaptive Web Design
- Practitioner level understanding of CI/CD process and tools like - Git, Docker, Jenkins, XL Release etc.
- Good communication skills - able to explain technical concepts to designers, product managers, and other partners ways that are relevant to them
- Expertise in one or more automated testing tools such Sauce labs, TestNG, Selenium, etc.
- Experience with one or more logging and monitoring tools like Splunk, Dynatrace, Prometheus
- Experience with BDD, TDD and/or ATDD
Work from Home Requirements:
- OpenAPI 3.0 and Swagger documentation
- Experience developing Data Driven Dynamic UIs using libraries/frameworks like react-jsonschema-form
- Experience with one or more rules engine related libraries/frameworks for frontend (json-rules-engine) and backend (Drools)
- Contributions to open-source or reusable libraries
- Event Driven and Reactive Programming (Vert.X or Spring Webflux) experience
- Experience of writing cloud native applications using OpenShift and Docker containers
- Strong analytical skills and knack of looking for non-obvious solutions
- Domain knowledge of Payments and/or Financial products
- Experience building microservices using domain driven design
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations
- Must have at least 25 mbps internet connection plan / speed
- Must have a private & quiet area to work at home
- Must be amenable to work in Taguig once community quarantine measures are lifted
To know more about our recruitment process, you may watch this short video -