Switching Jobs? Are You Ready?
We all see ourselves on a career graph. Sometimes we are content with where we are and sometimes, we are not. Knowing when it is time to move on can be a tricky task. Monster.com brings you the three-minute test from your daily schedule to think about the following:
- Let us start with your first thought of the day. Do you wake up with a positive feeling? In the words of Steve Jobs - If today were the last day of your life, would you want to do what you are about to do today? - If the answer is no, maybe it is time to rethink your priorities.
- How do you feel when you head to work. Are you still motivated about the opportunities that the job has to offer? If not, chances are it is because you have reached stagnation and your career graph is no longer advancing. It is time to move on!
- How about when you are at work? What is your feeling towards your boss, co-workers, and the company? Are your personal goals and vision aligned with those of your workplace? Sometimes it takes a while to find your modus operandi. If it does not fit, it is time to quit!
- Are you feeling under-appreciated? This is the most obvious pointer to highlight dissatisfaction. If you feel you deserve more for your contribution and are not getting it, speak up or move out.
- Is it worth it in the long run? Sometimes a job role does not go as we envisioned it to. If so, talk to your supervisor. And if that still does not work, look for something that will. Get access to insightful industry and salary reports to know the trends and make an informed decision.
- Are you ready to commit to a change? Moving on to a new role will take time, access to industry insights, research, professional networking, distributing resumes and going for interviews. Are you prepared to handle the transition? If yes, take the plunge!
If you find yourself answering with a Yes for most of these pointers, then assess the situation once again. But once you have made the decision to quit, take the next step and do not look back!